Welcome to the September edition of the MCC Glen Iris Valley News. In this edition you will find updates and articles on;
- 2022 Club Championships
- Night Social Tennis
- Tuesday Morning Social Tennis
- Senior Competition Winter Update
- Junior Competition Winter Update
- Estate of Patricia (Pat) Anderson
- MCC Works Undertaken
- Car Park Lighting
- Monash City Council Update
- Upcoming Dates
2022 CLUB CHAMPIONSHIPS
The 2022 MCC Glen Iris Club Championships will be played over three weekends starting on Saturday the 17th of September and finishing on Sunday the 2nd of October. There will be six events open to members this year
- Men’s & Women’s Open Singles
- Men’s & Women’s Open Doubles
- Men’s & Women’s Graded Doubles
To enter click on the following link. If you have any questions, please contact Angelo on 0407 477 798 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NIGHT SOCIAL PLAY – Wednesday & Thursday
By Dennis Rowler
Wednesday and Thursday night social intra-club tennis for members is similar in standard and format. We are people who enjoy playing tennis and having fun doing so. Players are only required to commit to one night at a time and be able to play 3 sets of doubles. Play can be mixed, women’s or men’s doubles. At the end of play quite a few players return to the clubhouse for drinks, tea, coffee and nibbles. We usually have between 12 and 24 players each night starting at 7.30pm and finishing around 10pm.
- Members can play either or both nights. Cost per night is $5 to cover new balls.
- For more information, or if you are interested in playing Social Night Tennis at MCC Glen Iris, please contact:
- Dennis Rowler at email@example.com or Grant Fry at MCCThursnighttennis@optusnet.com.au
SENIOR COMPETITION WINTER UPDATE
by David Rowler
The home and away season is now complete and it’s exciting to see our Pennant Ladies Grade 3 team reach the Grand Final to be played this Saturday 10th September at Royal South Yarra commencing at 8:30am. I’m sure they would appreciate some extra club support if anyone is free to go down and watch. It was fantastic to finally be able to play an entire season, our first since 2019.
Tennis Victoria Pennant
- Ladies Grade 3 team – Milla Fraser, Lily Fraser (c), Danielle Pappas, Jenna Gleeson and Tayla Gleeson.
Grand Final vs Buckley Park TC at Royal South Yarra commences at 8:30am
After finishing top of their section, our team defeated Royal South Yarra in week 1, 5 rubbers to 1. In the first semi-final, they narrowly defeated Dendy Park, 3 rubbers all, with 3 singles matches all going to the 3rd set match tiebreakers, which ultimately decided the result.
Last Saturday, in the preliminary final once again they were able to prevail by a mere 5 games at 3 rubbers all by defeating Hampton 3-5-50 to 3-5-45.
Milla has had an outstanding season and remains undefeated in all 13 of her singles matches.
- Congratulations to our Men’s Grade 3 team – Robert Roy, Brett Kelly, David Rowler (c), Brett Marchant, Andrew Semmens and Stephen Sharp for reaching the Grade Preliminary Final.
After finishing top of their section, our team was able to comprehensively defeat Kooyong in week one of finals. This subsequently granted them a bye in week 2.
Unfortunately, they were defeated by a strong Royal Park team 2-4-49 to 3-6-55 in the preliminary final. The team appreciated the home ground support received and especially would like to thank Grant Fry for coming down to take some action photos.
Congratulations to our other teams that made finals but were unfortunately defeated in their first finals matches.
- Ladies Grade 2 Sec 1 team (finished 4th) – Brooke Starling, Alex Luders, Zsofia Bende, Isabella Marchant, Lizzy Kalyvas (c), Amelia Mills, Linley Wade and Oli Ivcovici.
- Men’s Grade 2 Sec 1 team (finished 4th) – Jett Leong, Filip Sormaz, Ryan Pool, Nicholas Gourgoulis, Ben Rowler (c), Matthieu Gibert and Andrew Carter.
- Men’s Grade 7 Sec 3 team (finished 2nd) – David Lu, Matthew Jaskiewicz, Geoff Patsouris (c), Stephen Schweier and Maxi Blasic.
- Congratulations to our Open Singles Doubles A4 team – Josh Davis, Tom Lo (c) and Praneet Ram Sivaramakrishnan for winning their Grand Final vs Hallam.
After finishing on top and defeating Eildon Park in the semi, the boys were able to both win their singles to get the job done. This means Josh and Tom are back to back premiers and will be looking to move up the grades for the summer season.
- Congratulations to our other team who made the semi-final. Open Singles Doubles B Special 4 – Anthony Hart, Archie Stevens and Zoran Savanovic (c) Were defeated by Oakleigh – 2-5-44 to 1-3-30.
JUNIOR COMPETITION JUNIOR UPDATE
by Angelo Giampaolo
WDTA Grand Finals were played on the weekend after 9 of our teams made the semi-finals the week before.
- Congratulations to our A3 (Gold) team, Hridhaan Jamwal, Anidhya Sirohi and Luca Bassili who defeated Harkaway (white) 2-4-34 to 1-3-38 to claim the title. After both singles matches were split, it came down to the doubles which Hridhaan and Anidya won 7-6 in the 3rd set. It was an incredibly tight finish to a great season for the boys who remained undefeated throughout the season.
We look forward to seeing the boys in a higher section next season when the summer season commences on Sunday October 9th.
The club will have 22 junior teams take to the court, 5 on Saturday and 17 on Sunday. Wishing all the players a nice break and will see you all in October for the start of the summer season.
ESTATE OF PATRICIA (PAT) ANDERSON
by Peter Gillieron
Pat was a long-standing member of the Club going well back to Brixton Rise Glen Iris. In recognition of her services to the Club Pat was awarded Life Member in 1997.
Pat passed away in December 2019.
As part of her Will, Pat gifted the extraordinarily generous sum of $25,000 to the Club. The Board has given considerable thought on how Pat’s legacy can best be remembered. We’re pleased to advise that a Rotunda will be constructed, in memory of Pat, at the southern end of the space between courts 6 & 7 where it will provide shelter away from the Clubhouse.
TUESDAY MORNING SOCIAL TENNIS
By Grant Fry
Weather permitting MCC Glen Iris Valley Tennis Club has social tennis available to all members of the club. The only exceptions will be due to competitions and coaching clinics during school holidays. At this time we have 4 courts booked, courts 9, 10, 11, & 12 . At present we regularly have about 12 members playing each week and we are happy to have others join us either on a regular or casual basis. The objective is simple, to have a hit of tennis and a laugh with fellow club members to help improve fitness and tennis skills.
- Starts at 9-30am and finishes at 12-00 noon players can start anytime and finish anytime.
- We play doubles and we have made our own changes to the rules to make it work.
- 4 game sets (1 service game each) so that no one is left sitting around waiting to play.
- Only serve from the northern end of courts to avoid the sun.
- Tiebreaker at 2 all, each player has 2 serves if still even then it’s a draw.
- Gender is not an issue at all, pairs are sorted on the basis of everyone having an enjoyable morning’s tennis.
- Age also is not an issue.
- Everyone is welcome to have tea or coffee after play in the clubhouse, BYO food.
Please contact Grant Fry 0407 247800 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
TUESDAY NIGHT INTRA-CLUB
by Marty Beecroft
We would be delighted to welcome members to our Tuesday night intra-club tennis competition. We commence at 7.00pm, always play 3 sets of tennis and depending on numbers will generally play doubles. We appeal to more experienced players and I welcome members to make contact with me for a trial night. Each session is booked on a weekly basis through the registration tab on the Club website up to 5 weeks in advance and is $5.00 per player which includes lights and balls.
TUESDAY MORNING LADIES
by Lyn & Deirdre
MCC Glen Iris Valley currently has 1 team registered to play with MEMRLTA every Tuesday morning throughout
the Summer and Winter Seasons. The current team is playing in Section 5 for the forthcoming Summer 22/23 Season
which commences next Tuesday 6th September. Unfortunately, we didn’t make the finals last season, but will do our
best to turn that around this season.
Previously the club has had up to 4 teams playing competition on a Tuesday, however, due to COVID and members availability
with work and other responsibilities we have currently have 1 team comprising 8 players. Unfortunately, we didn’t make the finals
last season, but will do our best to turn that around this season.
If you are interested in forming a team to play in a Tuesday ladies competition – contact the Club, note we recommend you will need
at least 6 players to form a team to maintain a roster of 4 players each week.
MCC – WORKS TO BE UNDERTAKEN
by Peter Gillieron
The MCC has undertaken a building safety compliance review of the premises and has identified the following one-off works to be undertaken.
- Emergency lighting
- Toilet exhaust fans
- Emergency egress door
- Garden maintenance
- Plumbing works.
I anticipate these works will commence in January 2023 and will be undertaken and financed by the MCC. This is in addition to regular maintenance items that are now being undertaken by the MCC.
We have expressed our appreciation to the MCC for its support for our premises.
CAR PARK LIGHT
If you have been down at the club at night recently you would have noticed the bright car park and clubhouse lighting after the LED upgrade. Combine this with the beautiful ornamental pears in blossom, and it makes a great sight.
MONASH CITY COUNCIL
The Council has advised the Club of drainage works that it is required to do on the Riversdale Golf Club’s land. Those works will commence in October/November and the Council’s contractor will require access through the Club’s carpark to access the works site.
None of the Club’s carparks will be required. The works are estimated to last 2-3 months but access through our Club approximately 1-2 months. We’re in discussions with the Council as what our requirements are so they can be built into the tender.
We’ll advise you with further details closer to the date.
UPCOMING KEY DATES
- WDTA Summer Competition to commence Sat 8th/Sun 9th October
- Working Bee – Sunday 16th October
- Premier League – Early November – specific dates to come
- 25 November – Annual Dinner at the MCG – Save the Date