Matt Reid will make his debut for the MCC Glen Iris Valley Tennis Club this Friday night in the men’s Premier League competition. The 26 year year old has moved his world doubles ranking more than 100 places in 2016 to currently sit number 78 on the ATP tour. While mainly focusing on doubles in the second half of 2016, Matt is still a formidable singles player with a career high ranking of 183 in 2014.
Matt has been a regular in the Australian Davis Cup team as a hitting partner and is well respected team member. It will be great to have him part of our Men’s Premier League team for this season and seasons to come.
Here is a little more about Matt;
- Started playing tennis at age six because his family had an old asphalt tennis court in their backyard.
- Offered a scholarship to the Nick Bollettieri Academy in Florida when he was 15.
- Boarded at the Academy for two years so that he could complete Year 12 via online education while training.
- Reached the 2008 Junior Wimbledon Championships doubles final alongside compatriot Bernard Tomic, falling 10-12 in the final set.
- Won his maiden ITF Futures Pro Circuit event, the 2009 U.S.A F19 in Godfrey, Illinois.
- Claimed three more ITF Futures titles in 2011, in Serbia, Romania and Australia, breaking into the World’s Top 300 for the first time.
- Tennis heroes are Pat Rafter, because of his modesty and sportsmanship and Lleyton Hewitt for his on-court focus and determination.
- Favourite tournament is Wimbledon.